Truffle carbonara is a luxurious twist on the classic carbonara, featuring the distinctive flavor of truffles. Here’s a simple recipe for truffle carbonara:
- 400g (14 oz) tagliatelle, best possible combination we got is with E-pepe fresh pasta
- 150g (about 1 cup) – Italians would put pancetta or guanciale, instead we use simply from our homemade bacon 🙂 diced
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup freshly grated cheese (Italians would use Parmesan and/or Pecorino Romano cheese we put slowly homemade Bulgarian Kashkaval).
- 2 tablespoons truffle oil / Instead we put simply extra virgin olive oil. If the truffles are fresh you don’t need to infuse with truffle oil.
- Salt and black pepper, to taste, Bulgarian chubrica also work well, providing the dish delicate rich aroma of fresh Bulgarian herbs.
- White truffle (tuber magnatum pico), thinly sliced for garnish
Cook the Pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the tagliatelle according to the package instructions until al dente. Reserve about 1 cup of pasta cooking water before draining.
Cook the Bacon:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the diced bacon until it’s crispy and golden brown. Remove from heat.
Prepare the Sauce:
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and the grated Kashkaval. Season with black pepper.
Combine the Pasta and the bacon:
- While the pasta is still hot, add it to the skillet with the cooked homemade bacon. Toss to combine.
Add the Sauce:
- Pour the egg and cheese mixture over the pasta and quickly toss everything together. The heat from the pasta will cook the eggs and create a creamy sauce. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit of the reserved pasta cooking water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Remember never cook the sauce on “heat” otherwise you will prepare pasta with scrambled eggs.
- Divide the truffle carbonara among serving plates. Garnish with additional black pepper, grated Parmesan, and, if desired, thinly sliced Bulgarian white truffle.
- Serve immediately, savoring the rich and aromatic flavors of the truffle carbonara.
This truffle carbonara is a delightful indulgence, perfect for special occasions or when you want to elevate a classic dish. Adjust the quantities of truffles and cheese according to your taste preferences.